30 December 1972
Patrick Troughton, William Hartnell (Dr. Who), Nicholas Courtney (Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart), John Levene (Sergeant Benton), Rex Robinson (Dr. Tyler), Roy Purcell (President of the Council), Laurie Webb (Mr. Ollis), Clyde Pollitt (Chancellor) [1-2], Graham Leaman (Time Lord), Patricia Prior (Mrs. Ollis) [1,4], Denys Palmer (Corporal Palmer) [1-2], Stephen Thorne (Omega) [2-4].
|Written by||Bob Baker & Dave Martin|
|Directed by||Lennie Mayne|
|Produced by||Barry Letts|
A gel-like plasma creature arrives on Earth and hunts down The Doctor, who calls on The Time Lords for help. The Time Lords themselves are in crisis as their energy is being drawn off into a black hole. They send The Doctor’s earlier selves to join him. The first Doctor, caught in a time eddy and able only to advise, deduces that the creature is a time bridge.
The third Doctor and Jo then give themselves up to it and are transported to a world of antimatter beyond the black hole.On Earth, the second Doctor is forced to take refuge in the TARDIS along with the Brigadier and Sergeant Benton. He switches off the ship’s force field, and the whole UNIT building is transported through the black hole.
Behind these events is Omega, a figure from the Time Lord history whose solar engineering provided the power for time travel.
- For the First Doctor, this takes place after The Time Meddler and is a prequel to The Empire of Glass. For the Second Doctor, this likely takes place early during Season 6B since he not only recognizes Benton but his aware of Lethbridge-Stewart promotion to brigadier (The Invasion). Furthermore, he has not aged much since his last appearance (The War Games).
- The Doctor meets himself again in The Five Doctors, The Two Doctors, Cold Fusion, The Eight Doctors, The Sirens of Time, Interference (Book One and Book Two), and, in a sense, Heart of TARDIS and Endgame.
- Omega returns in the Fifth Doctor stories Arc of Infinity and Omega.
- The Doctor will run from his people again in his fifth incarnation after the events in The Five Doctors, until Sixth Doctor makes peace with them in The Trial of a Time Lord. And to save his friend Compassion, the Doctor will also be on the run from The Shadows of Avalon until The Ancestor Cell.
- If the Time Lords could just pull The Doctor out of time as easily as they could here, the question is why they couldn’t have used this while he was on the run from them in his previous two incarnations. However, back then they didn’t know where The Doctor was at the present, whereas they knew it here, so it is possible that they need to have something to ‘work backwards’ from, if you will.
- Re-released in Revistations 3 DVD Set – click here for details
- Order the Three Doctors DVD