The Murder Game
The faded glamour of a hotel in space, spinning in an all-but-forgotten orbit round the Earth, is host to some unusual visitors this weekend – including a party that claim to travel in a battered blue police box…
It is the year 2146. Answering a distress call from the dilapidated Hotel Galaxian, the TARDIS crew discover a games enthusiast is using the hotel to host a murder-mystery weekend. But it seems someone from his motley group of guests is taking things a little too seriously.
While The Doctor, Ben and Polly find themselves joining in the shadowplay, it becomes clear that a real-life murderer is stalking the dark, disused corridors of the Galaxian. But worse than this: there’s a sinister force waiting silently in space for events to unfold. A terrible secret is hidden on board the Galaxian, and if it is discovered nothing – least of all murder – will ever be the same again. If this is a game, the stakes just got higher.
- The Murder Game was the second novel in the BBC Past Doctor Adventures series. It featured the Second Doctor, along with his companions Ben Jackson and Polly Wright.
- The Doctor, Ben and Polly encountered Venusians, Draconians and Alpha Centaurans at a spaceport bar in an adventure preceding this one.
- Among the alien menaces The Doctor has fought, Ben mentions the War Machines, (The War Machines) the Daleks, (The Power of the Daleks) and the Cybermen, (The Tenth Planet) and is about to mention more (but is interrupted).
- Ben and Polly both refer to the attempted Cyberman invasion of Earth in December 1986. (The Tenth Planet)
- The Doctor can feel the space station moving, even though no one else can. (Rose)
- T-Mat equipment is mentioned. (The Seeds of Death)