“Vastra and Strax and Jenny? Oh no, we don’t need to bother them. Trust me.”
Marlowe Hapworth is found dead in his locked study, killed by an unknown assailant. This is a case for the Great Detective, Madame Vastra.
Rick Bellamy, bare-knuckle boxer, has the life drawn out of him by a figure dressed as an undertaker. This angers Strax the Sontaran.
The Carnival of Curiosities, a collection of bizarre and fascinating sideshows and performers. This is where Jenny Flint looks for answers.
How are these things connected? And what does Orestes Milton, rich industrialist, have to do with it all? This is where the Doctor and Clara come in. The Doctor and his friends find themselves thrust into a world where nothing and no one are whAt They seem. Can they unravel the truth before the most dangerous weapon ever developed is unleashed on London?
Read by Dan Starkey
- Clara speaks about the Doctor becoming older. (The Time Of The Doctor)
- The Doctor touches upon Clara’s job as a teacher at Coal Hill School. (The Day Of The Doctor, Deep Breath, Into The Dalek, Listen)
- The Doctor previously suggested taking Clara to the Frost fair. (The Caretaker)
- At no point in the novel is Vastra and Jenny’s marriage referenced, and indeed even in private Jenny still refers to her wife as “Madame”. Jenny is also depicted as flirting with a male character, though it’s unclear if this is a ruse to get information.
- Clara and Jenny briefly discuss their last meeting with each other. (Deep Breath)
- Strax recalls having fought the Headless Monks. (A Good Man Goes to War)
- The Doctor once again refuses to take Clara to meet the historical figure of her choice (this time King Arthur). (Robot of Sherwood)
- Upon meeting Michael Smith, the Doctor introduces himself as Doctor John Smith. (The Wheel in Space)
- Strax’s time spent as a member of the Paternoster Gang is said to be temporary.
- The Doctor says he once met a young King Arthur who was looking for a sword. The Doctor pulled the sword from within the stone. Thus, the Doctor was made King of England for a day before abdicating in favour of Arthur. Battlefield previously established that The Doctor will at one point in his lives be known as Merlin, Arthur’s wizard.
- The Paternoster Gang was recently called to investigate a house supposedly haunted by a poltergeist. It turned out to be a false alarm as the house was built over the Bakerloo Line of the London Underground, making everything shake as a train travelled by.