Destiny of the Doctor5 Smoke And Mirrors
The Doctor answers a pseditionic distress call being sent from England in the 1920s. There, in the environs of a fairground, he is reunited with an old friend: Harry Houdini. To Adric and Nyssa the name means very little, but to The Doctor’s companion Tegan he is a legend. Escape artist extraordinaire, Houdini’s reputation will last for decades. But how come Harry knows so much about Tegan herself? Is it really just guesswork, as he says? Is Harry right to be concerned about the fairground’s fortune teller, who claims to have supernatural skills? Both he and the Doctor suspect an alien influence they know of old. What neither The Doctor nor his friends realise is that, somewhere in the shadows, a far more sinister and familiar presence is lying in wait for them..
- Tegan is still wearing her Air Australia uniform. (Logopolis, Castrovalva, Four to Doomsday, Kinda, The Visitation)
- Nyssa and Adric consider the fairground carousel to be rather frivolous and silly.
- Harry Houdini has met The Doctor on several previous occasions and is aware of regeneration. As he once met Jo Grant, one of these encounters took place during his third incarnation. He learned of the existence of the Bay City Rollers from Jo.
- The Doctor’s sonic screwdriverwas recently destroyed by the Terileptil leader in London in September 1666. (The Visitation)
- The Eleventh Doctor refers to spoilers. (Silence in the Library, Let’s Kill Hitler, The Name of the Doctor, The Day of the Doctor)