This time, anarchy’s real. There are power cuts and Wilson’s resignation, a great upheaval of unease. But now there’s real fear too. Real panic. And that’s not how it’s supposed to be.
Somebody has been toying with the Seventh Doctor’s past, testing him, threatening him, leading him on a chase that has brought the TARDIS to London in 1976 — where reality has been altered once again.
Black Star terrorists foment riots in the streets. The Queen barely escapes assassination. A fearful tension is rising. Something is going to happen. Something bad.
Meanwhile, Benny’s the lead singer in a punk band. Ace can’t talk to her or The Doctor without an argument starting, so she’s made murderous plans of her own. The Doctor’s alone — he doesn’t know who his enemy is, and even the Brigadier has disowned him.
As usual, it’s up to The Doctor to protect the world. And he can’t even protect himself.
- No Future is the twenty-third novel in the Virgin New Adventures series and was written by Paul Cornell. It features the Seventh Doctor, Ace and Bernice.
- Danny Pain saves the world by throwing a piece of the Monk’s TARDIS (disguised as a desk and the papers inside) out of the window and signing a piece he then gives The Doctor.
- The Doctor disguises the TARDIS as Nelson’s Column by materialising around the actual monument.
- Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart is into Buddhism. He was introduced to the Eight Fold Path by The Doctor.
- Battlefield is chronologically (for The Doctor) the last time he met the Brigadier. However, this story is in his own personal future.
- This novel is the last one to feature the TARDIS (taken from the alternate Earth in Blood Heat) with a functioning chameleon circuit. Near the end of the novel, The Doctor smashes it with a hammer. Blood Heat, The Dimension Riders, The Left-Handed Hummingbird and Conundrum are the previous novels in the Alternate Universe Arc.
The Invasion of Timewas the first story to feature the Vardans. A single Vardan is mentioned in Return of the Living Dad as being a survivor of this invasion attempt.
- Following The Daleks’ Master Plan, The Monk is carrying a degree of baggage. His previous appearance and previous meeting with The Doctor was in this story.